Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Why I've become a vegetarian

Just recently, I made the conscious choice to become vegetarian. As a die-hard consumer of seafood and dairy, it's a decisiono that didn't come easy. However, it was hard not to make switch, in light of all the information I've gathered while writing about organics. The older I get, the more committed I become to being a better steward of our resources.

Much has been written about the negative impact of beef processing on the environment. But I'm not much of a beef eater anyway. But factory farming is a concern with regard to chicken and pork, as well. Animal cruelty is not something I endorse.

Just as important is the impact on my waistline. High cholesterol, diabetes,and heart disease run rampant in my family. Our diet of steaks, bacon, and pork chops no doubt contributes. That and the fact that, as I grow older, my digestive system slows down, making these heavy meals harder to digest. I feel that lighter, high fiber fare would improve myhealth on many fronts.

So what to do? The good thing is that vegetarians have a myriad of optionsfor cooking and dining. I myself have cooked many vegetarian dishes (some of which I might share here), and have found them most satisfying. More and more restaurants carry vegetarian options, and there are even ready-made entrees available. So I don't feel that I'm missing anything. Being vegetarian is about more than tofu.

No comments: