Sunday, August 26, 2007

Thoughts on the empty nest

Well, it finally happened; my youngest daughter graduated from High School this year, and last week she headed out to college. Although I had prepared them (and myself) for this moment, it still felt strange. Turning 50 did not feel half as strange as this. They're great kids, all three of them, and I'm very proud of them, but it doesn't make this venture into adulthood any easier for their parents.

Strangely enough, they feel proud of me as well - it was quite an accomplishment for a technophobe like myself to be creating websites, writing songs, and the like. Have I actually been an inspiration to them? Wouldn't that be cool?

Shucks, even their food choices have improved. Their favorite meals are baked salmon, asparagus, roasted lamb chops, couscous, homemade squash soup, and similar delights. Or maybe they just enjoyed my cooking. At any rate, some of our fondest memories have revolved around food and family. I suspect that it's the same for many of you.

Well, I'm so glad that I unloaded. I feel better already...

1 comment:

ericat said...

It is a long time since I passed this point. Your blog brought it all back to me. sigh.. Later I enjoyed baby sitting the grandchildren, now they are growing up fast. Life is short. I found my cat children fill a lot of empty spaces - think about that. Meet my babies my cat site
remember you are only halfway through life enjoy the rest.