Sunday, November 16, 2008

What do we eat now?

Tough economic times have made it necessary for many of us to re-think our food spending habits. Not only is this good for our wallets, but for our health. We have become one of the most unhealthy nations on the planet.

As many of us know, junk food is cheap. It's tempting to opt for quick fixes when there's little time for healthy cooking. It's not necessary to give in to temptation, however. For the past few months, my boyfriend and I have managed to eat organic, local, vegan meals for about $16.00/day. That may not sound like a bargain, but considering the cost of organic foods these days, we wanted to prove that people could eat well and remain within a reasonable budget.

How did we do it? It was simple, really - we do most of our cooking, and only eat out one night/week at the local Chinese restaurant, where steamed tofu or eggplant with brown rice can be had for $8.00. Our diet consists of a healthy variety of foods - beans, brown rice, wheat pasta, breads, nuts, tofu, fruits and vegetables, seitan, and soybean products. Although many of these products are not "cheap", with careful menu planning we are able to make our food budget stretch, with leftovers being stored in the freezer.

In the long run, we feel that the payoffs - healthy weight, lots of energy, and a strong immune system - are well worth the time and effort we put into our diet. Only time will tell which diet turns out to be a "bargain."

2 comments:

PhoebeK10 said...

Great article! My answer to trying to eat organic as much as possible (and I cannot afford to go to "Whole Paycheck" very often) is to grow it myself and freeze as much as possible.

I hope you don't mind me promoting a free event I have coming up? If so, I'll re-post without it, but I thought you & your readers might be interested. I'm doing a series of organic gardening teleclasses (free except for the long-distance phone call unless you use Skype). And this month I am so excited to get to interview Will Allen. He runs an urban farming community supported agriculture-type program called Growing Power (the last remaining farm in the city of Milwaukee). He's doing great work in lots of different communities to provide equal access to good, healthy foods. This guy's story is pretty amazing, and I encourage everyone who signs up to submit a question in advance.

It's at 2 pm CST next Wednesday, Dec. 10. You can sign up at www.askFarmerPhoebe.com

If you can't join us live, sign up anyways, so you can download the raw recording for up to 2 days afterward.

Thanks for letting me get in a plug. I'm such a fan of Mr. Allen's work, I want as many people as possible to know about it.

Peace,
Phoebe

sartaj faisal said...

Hi

I think you can eat better foods which are better for your health.

Diet Plan
,
Walk In Clinic
,
Healthy Diet Foods
,
Health and Medicine
,
Pakistani Real estate
,
JObs opportunities for us
,
Travel In Pakistan